Update: I just got a call from a local store who happen to know me and know my number. They got an online order in my name with my address for the product I ordered from ebay. It had been paid with a PayPal account in an unrelated name. Basically a dropship to my address, but from a third party’s PayPal. There would have been an $80 loss if it was a genuine dropship.
The PayPal declined. Coincidentally the store knows me well, and know I always collect my orders in person. They called me to query the payment, and the scam became evident.
Here’s the scam:
They’re using stolen credit cards/hacked PayPal. They take the orders on eBay, then make a fraudulent purchase from real stores to dropship the orders
. They pay using the hacked PayPal.
The order gets shipped and I’m left holding stolen items. Interestingly the seller has recently got some good feedback, so it’s presumably worked a few times.
The order was aparantly just about to go out the door when they got notification the payment failed. It’s very lucky but also embarassing, as I know these people and I’ve inadvertently got them almost scammed.
I’ve ordered an item from a new seller and there’s some interesting factors that have got me wondering if this is a known scam.
– Brand new seller this year. 0 feedback.
– I contacted them twice prior to purchasing, no reply.
– The price is cheap (145 delivered, absolute bargain sale price for the item across any store is around 210 delivered)
– They have a weird mix of items, about 6 total, nothing over 250. Each from a different category.
– The stock level was one available of each colour. At most other sellers a lot of the colours are usually sold out, except at the biggest suppliers.
– After a few days I noticed a couple of them sold. The seller raised the price by $20 (still cheap).
– I bought one.
– Paid with credit card. I regret this, at the time I thought it was one of those ‘pay with card but through PayPal’ arrangements, but it’s possible it was not with PayPal? I entered the card directly into eBay through the checkout process.
– No action from the seller after 5 days. It’s saying the expected delivery is before 29/3, although it’s not marked shipped.
– The item is a ‘Tilt Hydrometer’. Fairly obscure. I can provide a direct link if that’s allowed.
What could be the angle here? The only eBay scam I can of that think might apply is the old ‘fake parcel shipped to wrong address in correct postcode’, but being a new seller I presumed they wouldn’t get far and it would be easy for me dispute and win, although now I’m not so sure..
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
The content was posted by buticanfeelyours on 2021-03-23 18:01:57 via reddit