Random guy came up to our ring doorbell camera and showed this screen, anyone familiar with this? Our neighborhood app said he did this to a few addresses, I searched the neighborhood myself and couldn’t find him to confront him.

The content was posted by LitttleBearr on 2021-11-11 05:00:01 via reddit

1. Regret_the_Van says:

So… I did a bit of sleuthing and turned up that the dataplate is from a Sierra Wireless device, however the dataplate is too blurry to read. Sierra Wireless is a legitimate company handling enterprise wireless networking and IoT. They don’t seem to offer anything on the consumer side.

**Further I could not find a link to compromising a ring doorbell with a random barcode.** Continuing on from that, I doubt the original intention of the perpetrator was to gain entry via a doorbell camera, but was to try and gain access to the buildings wireless network. **Again, I have found no link to tie scanning a random barcode to compromising the device’s security.**

I stress if you are unsure, reach out to Ring directly and show them the photos. They may know more about what is happening.

2. LitttleBearr says:

Update: apparently this guy has been going around our neighborhood, sharing this screen with ring doorbells and attempting to unlock the door, please advise if you’ve seen anything like this

3. GadreelsSword says:

Could be as simple as him blocking the camera with something confusing while his accomplice steals something from the yard or he’s trying a bump key/pick on your door lock?

4. OkKaleidoscope8090 says:

My best guess is someone with a mental health issue

5. LitttleBearr says:

A neighbor on our neighbors app said his router was completely disconnected and rebooted after this happened to his ring.

I can’t confirm this because it did not happen to us, but this occurance is alarming nonetheless

6. It looks like a tracking docket for some delivery. Sierra something?

7. Ill_Maintenance8161 says:

I have an ADT doorbell camera same as the Ring but monitored. The monitoring service would see this right away. Plus my door has a strong deadbolt and key lock that is strictly mechanical. Nothing connected to WiFi.

8. Loan-Pickle says:

My though is that is some mentally ill person who thinks this label is some sort of magic key.